Hunter

Hunter
Chyea

Incubus

Incubus
the Crew

Monday, December 3, 2007

I 'Yam a Thinker

1) The main thing that concerns me if the lack or sympathy throughout our society. There is a lack of helping one another when they are in need. Excluding the establishments that are built for this good, I believe that people are mainly concerned about themselves and geared toward their own accomplishments. I think there needs to be a bigger base of people making an effort to make other's lives easier, not just focused on their own.

2) Successful people in general who give back to the community or make contributions to organizations that need money to help people are the most influential in my life. Sure, i would like to make a good amount of money; I would like to live comfortably. But those who make an effort to help people who are not as fortunate as themselves are very influential to me, and that is where i would like to land at some point in my life.

3) Inspiration is a greatly vague term. Different experiences, be it books, music, or just over all art can do very drastically different things to you. Music, to me, inspires individual and independent moments for me. To get pumped up for a basketball game i would listen to a set of "pump-up" music, but while driving long distances its not unusual for me to pop in a Dave Matthews album to relax to.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I agree with your comments on successful people. Yes, it is impressive to be wealthy. However, it is far more impressive to be wealthy and give back. A great example of this is Angelina Jolie. She makes millions and millions of dollars every year. She gives an entire third!!! (33%) of her income to UNICEF. To me, that is inspiring.

Grace said...

I think the successful people who use their money for helping those less fortunate are also people who inspire me. I hope that someday we can all have the same outlook on the situation and use our money for the good of our world.

Mr. Miles said...

I think we do lack a certain amount of sympathy in our country. We do, as a nation, give much toward the benefit of others in need--think Hurrican Katria fund, Tsunami releif, 9/11 relief--but on an individual basis, there are a lot of people who just don't care.

I remember my first year of teaching trying to get my students not to throw paper on the floor for the sake of the janitors, who work so hard. You would have thought the janitors were robots without feelings, the way these kids were acting (not all the kids, just the vocal ones).

I think our focus has become too much on ourselves rather than on other people.

David R said...

I agree whole heartedly.

True said...

teens especially seem to lack the mental capacity to see value in charity and volunteer work. people try to get the community service letter through some gyped means. Teens are deteriorating in the sense of character, and when someone does do something outstanding in the community, most other people make fun of them for it and call them a tryest.