Hunter

Hunter
Chyea

Incubus

Incubus
the Crew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Work that Changed a Life

The piece of writing that i brought to class today is a copy of The Hardy Boys series. It wasn't exactly that specific work that changed me, it was the night after night stories that were read to me by my mom. The array of books she read to me included the Goosebumps series along with The Hardy Boys. She would spend hours sitting in my room reading aloud to my brother and I.

I believe the imagination it took to put me in those sittuations the characters faced led me to my writing. In The Hardy Boys i would try to solve the mysteries along with the brothers. The first book of the series is called The Tower Treasure, it was the first i read and the most memorable. The first line of the book is what first struck me. Right away i was thrown into the adventure and realized i would be putting myself in their situation throughout the series with, "Frank and Joe Hardy clutched the grips of their motorcycles and stared in horror at the oncoming car. It was careening from side to side on the narrow road." (p. 1) This got the excitement going for me right away.

Prompt:

In a paragraph describe the most vivid and early memory book has given you. Also, describe the mood and setting.

4 comments:

David R said...

For me, it would have to the first Harry Potter book. I would read that book before I went to bed each night and I always remember imagining myself in the book with all that cool magic and spells.

Grace said...

I think that first book that I read was "Bearenstein Bears". There was a whole series of books about this family of bears who lived in a tree house. My mom always read them to me before bed, I always dreamed of one day living in a cool tree house like the one they lived in.

True said...

I remember reading a Dr. Seuss book with race cars. I don't remember what it was called but I liked it because it seemed like the fish and animals or whatever were racing each other and it was cool.

a common woman said...

Wow! Your mom actually read to you? Glad that you have those memories.